We don’ often spare a thought for our body’s very own powerhouse – the liver. One of the most important organs in the human body, responsible for a multitude of vital functions. The liver is tied to most bodily functions as it is responsible for the filtration of ALL incoming fluids and foods.
Some of the functions the liver plays a role in:
- storing vitamins and minerals
- filtering the blood – removing toxins
- breaks down and eliminates excess hormones including thyroid hormones
- manages blood sugar levels
Imbalances in the liver often go unnoticed due to the fact that it can result in any many different kinds of problems, not directly related to the liver.
Symptoms of an imbalance could be:
- excessive weight gain or inability to lose weight
- intolerance to HRT
- aggravation of menopausal symptoms and pms
- allergies and food sensitivities
- high cholesterol
- gallbladder disease and intolerance to fatty foods and alcohol
- bad breath
- Irritable Bowl syndrome, digestive problems
- overburdened immune system and auto-immune diseases
- chronic fatigue syndrome
- recurrent viral, bacterial, parasitic infections
You can see why it’s important to maintain a healthy, happy liver. You can do this by maintaining a liver-friendly diet consisting of (amongst others):
- raw fruits, raw and lightly cooked vegetables
- Nuts – brazil, almond, walnuts
- legumes and sprouts
- chicken and eggs (remember to get free-range)
- seafood (omega 3 and healthy fats)
- fast food
- artificial sweeteners
- monosodium glutamate (MSG)
The good news is that the liver the capacity to regenerate itself and it’s not too late to turn things around.
Keep your liver healthy and help it to look after you and keep your body functioning at 100%.
Love your liver today!